Every one of us requires calories for nourishment and daily energy. Nowadays, calorie-counting has emerged as an obsession, as most of the people out there try to stay within specific daily caloric intake to gain or lose or maintain their weight. Losing weight implies burning more calories than you intake, whereas gaining weight signifies taking in more calories than you burn.
A calorie is factually the energy content present in the food. Whilst some food items have a very little energy content like vegetables, and some other food stuffs are energy-dense such as olive oil. In general, fatty foods have higher calories or energy content than lighter foods such like salad or carrots.
Why you require calories?
All of us need calories to live. They are essential for the extremely basic bodily functions including for breathing, sitting, talking, thinking, eating and so on. Everyone needs a varied number of calories per day in order to maintain their ideal weight. There are several factors that go into determining this number out. For instance, an individual who is hyper active will obviously require more calories than that of a sedentary person. An individual who naturally has a quicker metabolic rate might eat more calories than one having slower metabolic rate. Apart from this, the thyroid activities also tend to play a crucial role in this number.
If you are pondering how to count calories, well then there is a precise science to find out accurately how many calories a specific person might require. This typically involves making a person sit in the closed room for sometime so that the oxygen amount utilized can be measured. Thus, then this number is utilized to calculate the amount or number of calories that burned per day. There are also many other highly convenient ways of estimating this number.
Explore effective ways to count calories
Anyone who is quite serious regarding losing weight or getting into ideal shape desires to realize that some significant nutritional decisions will have to be taken with the many available choices in regards to food/drink on a routine basis. Each time when you are confronted with beverages or food, you certainly have the prospective to consume too much and this in turn leads to weight gain. Thus, if you desire to make this process much easier and enhance the probabilities of being successful, one amid the excellent ways to get started tracking your day-to-day nutrition is of course to count calories.
Counting calories is absolutely not a diet, however it does aid you consume the apt number of calories required for your weight, physical activity level and height. Previously, it was tedious to count calories as one had to lug around paper and pencil approach. It involved writing down everything that you ate and drank a day. But, today with the emergent of smart devices and internet that can run several applications, counting calories has actually become easier than earlier. You just can simply whip out your smartphone, tap few buttons and thus, your calorie amount will be tabulated automatically.
Significant things to consider
Here are few ways that aid you with regards to how to count calories easily and effectively;
- Plan meals with apt number of calories– In your busy life, it’s easy to consume whatever is in the abode or dine out at the restaurant and order something, which sounds good. Instead, try to resist the urge to consume junk food, plan what you will consume each day. In order to keep yourself on apt track, ensure to procure the essential groceries to get you through a week.
Albeit, you might find this task harder initially, as you will be not that good at estimating or counting which foods consists of which calories. However, after few days of being strict with yourself, certainly you must be a pro at determining how caloric specific foods are.
- Choose healthy and nutritious food – Though, healthy foods might not taste delicious, however they typically have fewer calories and so you can consume more of it. On the other hand, unhealthy foods have more calories. When looking for best foods, choose fresh fruits or vegetables, omega-3 fatty acids, nuts, grains, lean or white protein.
- Drink ample of water – Water is crucial for the healthy body. It also tends to take up space in stomach and thereby suppressing appetite. To top it all, water contains no calories. Drinking water can certainly aid in weight loss.
- Find out the calorie content of food item prior you buy it – Despite of the food item, snacks, bread, or packaged foods, ensure to determine the food item’s number of calories per serving. This facilitates in choosing the one with very low calorie content.
Remember, not all foods which you buy have packaging that reveals the amount of calories, however there are several websites out there which will tell you the calories of almost any food.
- Write down everything that you eat and drink – This way you can easily record the exact number of calories per food stuff. To make this simpler, you can utilize a computer spreadsheet program. Record what foods you eat and store the info into the spreadsheet, then simply total up all the calories.
- Smartphone apps – As mentioned previously, many smartphones these days have apps that will aid you on how to count calories. The apps will amazingly look up caloric values and other aspects for you, and also calculate how much calories you must consume per day to lose weight.
These are some of the aspects that have to be considered in order to count calories effectively. Apart from these methods you can even count calories by determining your daily caloric intake and BMR. Whichever method you tend to implement, ensure that it’s done rightly so that you can know the exact number of calories, which you consume on a daily basis. This in turn surely aids you to keep track on your weight loss or weight gain needs.